Expectations as a Foundation for Coaching with Steve Barkley – Episode 14
By Nicole S. Turner
Share This Post:
Instructional coaches should not be members of a PLC but rather should be there to provide expertise as needed. A key piece to successful PLCs is teacher ownership and leadership of the PLC and working together as a team for student success. So how can we as coaches help teachers move away from just working as an individual teacher to truly working as a team within the PLC to support students?
Steve Barkley, Chief Learning Officer and Executive Vice-President of PLS 3rd Learning, is joining me today. With 45+ years working in education as a teacher and then a consultant, Steve has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to providing a model for the skills necessary for effective change in individual teachers, teams, schools, and school systems.
In this episode, Steve is sharing his background in education, a coach’s role in a PLC, teachers’ role in leadership and accountability within the PLC, why teachers should make a minimum of a 3 year commitment to students, and what to do when students move in in the middle of the year.
Steve is such a coaching guru and an incredible mentor! I am so thankful he joined me today to give you a preview of his session at the Simply Coaching Summit this summer. Register today so you don’t miss your chance to catch Steve’s keynote.
Topics Covered in Episode 14: Expectations as a Foundation for Coaching with Steve Barkley
- Steve’s background and experience in education and consulting
- An instructional coach’s role in the PLC
- What a PLC really is
- Why teachers should be taking on the leadership and accountability in a PLC
- How PLCs can move beyond just grade levels and into school wide teams
- Why teachers should make a 3 year commitment to their students
- How to deal with high mobility schools
Links from this episode
- Register for the Simply Coaching Summit
- Grab a copy of the Simply Coaching Summit brochure here!
- Register for the In-Person Simply Coaching Summit Bootcamp
- Learn more about Steve Barkley: barkleypd.com
Connect with Nicole S. Turner
- Website: Home
- Simply Coaching Hub: Simply Coaching Hub
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/simplycoachingandteaching_
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/https://twitter.com/coachandteach
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Barkely Bio:
Steve Barkley, Chief Learning Officer and Executive Vice-President of PLS 3rd Learning, is internationally recognized for his ability to facilitate change through his teaching and coaching. He is skilled in guiding systems and teams through the process of continuous improvement with coaching, mentoring, and professional learning communities. Most recently, Steve has concentrated his efforts on working with several districts in leadership training, coaching skills, and establishing teacher professional development goals, often focused on efficacy, agency, and accelerated learning. His dynamic energy and focus, provide a model for the skills necessary for effective change in individual teachers, teams, schools, and school systems.
He began his career in education more than 45 years ago as an elementary school teacher. For the past 30+ years he has served as a consultant to school districts, teacher organizations, state departments of education, and colleges and universities both nationally and internationally. His development of strategies to connect with clients virtually has greatly increased his availability for personalized facilitation and coaching.
Steve is a master teacher-of-educators, a highly motivational and riveting speaker who is extraordinarily knowledgeable about life in schools. A catalyst for growth, he is a true role model who practices what he teaches.